I am loving grilled lettuce right now. And loyal blog readers, you’re going to hear allllll about it. This simple little recipe is just intended to ease you in.
Grilling your lettuce is such a quick and easy thing to do but with a huge payoff. It adds so much extra pizzazz to your salad, with a little smoky taste around the edges and a lettuce head with a few different layers of texture to it, which you can cut into with a knife and fork.
As much as I love taking my grilled lettuce and drenching it in toppings and dressings, it also lends itself to something much more simple and pure. Like this ridiculously quick and easy salad, which will honestly only take you 10 minutes to make (OK, that’s 15 if your grill / broiler is slow to pre-heat!)
It’s really tasty, but it is sooo lazy. You just grill a little gem lettuce and throw it on a plate with a ripe avocado. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and a twist of lemon. Scatter some chili flakes, salt and pepper on top to really enhance the flavors.
(And I just told you how to make it. I guess you don’t even need to scroll any more, unless you want to look at some more photos? Do stay!)
You have to be in the sort of mood to appreciate simplicity with this one, but if you are, I think you’ll like it. A great way to discover the joy of grilled lettuce and prepare yourself for what might be an onslaught of similar recipes around here this winter.
Until next time…
- 1 head of little gem lettuce
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- ½ lemon
- About 2 tsps of extra virgin olive oil
- A couple pinches of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat your grill / broiler to a high heat setting.
- Prepare your lettuce. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on all sides. Place on a baking tray.
- Once the grill is hot, place the lettuce under it for 1-2 minutes on each side. The edges of the leaves should be browned and crisping.
- Once finished, place on a plate and add the avocado slices.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon half over the top.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and grind salt and pepper over the top, to taste.