When I say “5 ingredient”, I am including the quesadilla dippers. Yeah. This is an awesome recipe, if I do say so myself.
Even us food bloggers can get busy, tired and stuck in a rut. So I can only imagine how hard it is for people who don’t even totally love cooking. What a drag.
But this? This is easy. You make the soup by putting 3 things in the blender- salsa, canned beans, and vegetable stock. Then while you heat it up you press a couple of folded tortillas stuffed with cheese. Done.
To make sure this soup is yummy, you need to use a good salsa. Buy your favorite salsa, as hot or mild as you like, as smoky or fresh as you like, because it’s where all the flavor is coming from. If you buy one of those weird ones that tastes like preservatives, that’s going to be all up in your soup. Personally, I need a fresh salsa from the refrigerated section to make this work. But it needn’t be fancy. Sainsbury’s own brand was fine.
You could of course garnish this with sour cream or yogurt, guacamole, anything you like. But you don’t have to. You may not have those ingredients to hand and that’s OK. Dipping your mini quesadillas into this soup will give you everything you need from a dinner.
Except, perhaps, aesthetic quality. Yeah. I’m aware it’s not my most attractive dish, and these aren’t my best photos, but it’s a really nice and simple meal. I made it one weekend lunch because I felt lazy, so it stands to reason that I’d half-ass the photos right? 😉
I got the idea for this soup, combining ready made salsa with canned beans and veggie stock, from a cookbook… I wish I could be more specific. But I saw the recipe years ago and have been making it ever since. I went through a bunch of my cookbooks to find the recipe in order to credit the idea back to the author, but I just couldn’t find it anywhere. I decided to share it here anyway, and I will update if I ever figure out who it was.
- 1 can of black beans
- 230g jar (about 8oz) of salsa
- 1 - 2 cups (235-470ml) of vegetable stock, depending on how thick you'd like your soup
- 2 small corn tortillas (taco sized)
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Drain and rinse your black beans
- Put the beans, salsa and 1 cup of vegetable stock in a blender and blend until they are smooth (or leave it a little chunky if you prefer). Add extra vegetable stock to thin it out until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Pour into a saucepan and heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, fold your tortillas and stuff with grated cheese. Place in a non stick frying pan and press down with the spatula a little to encourage the cheese to melt. Once it starts melting, flip the quesadilla over and press down on the other side while it finishes. (You don't need any oil if your pan is non-stick but add some if you'd like it to be more crispy)
- Once the soup is fully heated, ladle into bowls and garnish with extra salsa or cheese if desired.
- Serve with the quesadillas on the side.