Anyway. This week I was unpacking our vegetable box delivery and came across two heads of broccoli, so I decided I could do some experimenting, and try making fritters with a little bit of cheddar cheese, because broccoli and cheddar are just so perfect together.
It’s not too experimental though- only four ingredients stand between you and these fritters and the dominant flavour is the broccoli. We appreciated the simplicity, but they can also be dressed up with the addition of a more exotic cheese, or perhaps some chili or olives.
broccoli and cheddar fritters
- 1 very small broccoli head or 1/2 large one
- 1 egg white
- Handful of grated cheddar cheese (I used probably around 1/4 cup, packed)
- 1/4 cup (or 4 tblsps) plain white flour
- First, loosely chop and steam your broccoli for a few minutes until it is soft but still al dente.
- On a chopping board, cut the cooked broccoli into very small pieces.
- Place in a bowl and add the egg white. Using a spoon, mix the egg white through the broccoli mix as much as you can. Add the flour and cheese, and continue to mix together. Use the spoon to smoosh it all together- it will start to stick together and form a batter, although it should be a very chunky one that holds together, but only just.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan- enough to cover the bottom, but no more. When it is hot enough that a tiny piece of batter will sizzle, drop in the fritter dough in 4 lumps. After a couple of minutes, flip with a spatula and cook on the other side. Cook until both sides are nicely browned.
- Remove from the oil and let sit on some paper towel for a few minutes to soak up the grease, before dishing up.
Some aioli or pesto would be a great accompaniment to this.
Source: adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s broccoli parmesan fritters