This creamy avocado spinach pasta is given a luxurious twist with fresh mozzarella and gruyere cheeses! A filling, nutrient packed vegetarian pasta dinner like nothing you’ve tried before.
And yet… here we are.
The thing is, I made this one night, and I just really loved it, and kept making it over and over again. So I couldn’t not share it with you. With the addition of some lovely cheeses, it’s a little different to the other avocado cream sauce recipes out there. (Which is maybe unfortunate, because those ones are way healthier!)
The sauce has a rich, thick texture thanks to the avocados and the pine nuts. You could try a less expensive nut if you prefer. There is just something about the savory flavor of pine nuts, and the creaminess they bring (they blend super easily), that makes this dish extra special.
You know, it was feeling pretty virtuous until right about… now.
So, then. THEN! You stir that sauce into your pasta alongside some fresh mozzarella and gruyere which turns really stringy and melty. You get the fresh milkiness of the cheese working it’s way through the sauce, it becomes a gradually richer, a little sticky, and… game over. This is definitely decadent now.
And hey, it’s too late. We already ruined it. So for a topping, you’re also going to add some more gruyere. So you have a combination of melted and still-melting cheese when you eat this. Which is awesome.
I know, I know. What have I doooone? I ruined a potentially virtuous dish with ALL THE CHEESE?
Ugh, I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself.
But- know that this is still crazy delicious without the cheese. It started that way, actually. I made it twice with no cheese before that fateful day came when I took a turn in the wrong direction.
And, I feel the need to point out that it is still way healthier than something like alfredo or mac and cheese. There are a lot of nutrients and healthy fats packed into this sauce, and just a little bit of cheese goes a long way.
And it’s so green it’s practically fluorescent.
As you can see, this is very saucy, so feel free to adjust your ratio of spaghetti if you prefer a thinner spread of sauce.
Cheesy Avocado Spinach Pasta
Yield 6 servings
This creamy avocado spinach pasta is given a luxurious twist with fresh mozzarella and gruyere cheeses! A filling, nutrient packed vegetarian pasta dinner like nothing you've tried before.
- 500g / 18oz pack of spaghetti
- 250g / 9oz Mozzarella (use the fresh kind that is stored in water), roughly chopped
- A few handfuls of grated gruyere or comte cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Around 250g / 8.8oz of washed raw spinach
- 1 handful of basil
- First, start your spaghetti off- the rest will come together in the time it takes to cook it! Boil some water in a large pan, dump in the spaghetti and let it simmer, covered, for about 11 minutes (or as long as your package tells you)
- Now prepare your sauce by blending all of the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor, or in a jug with a hand blender. Blend until it's super smooth and creamy.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan.
- Stir in the avocado sauce.
- Now, over a low heat, add the mozzarella and stir constantly as it melts in and stretches out.
- Add the gruyere last and stir through. Take off the heat once it's just starting to melt.
- Portion into bowls and top with extra gruyere.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27.3 g
Saturated Fat 9.7 g
Sodium 428.2 mg
Total Carbohydrates 60.4 g
Protein 35.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.