I enjoy salad a lot more than this blog’s archives would imply.
A really well thought out, fresh salad with home made dressing… it’s such a delight. I don’t make them enough! One of the tricky things can be having all the right ingredients, at the right stage of ripeness, at the right time. If you then overlay the need to make it on a weekend so I can take photos, then even the ones I do make don’t have much hope of being featured here… I need to plan things a little better! But meanwhile, the stars aligned to bring this one to you today!
I am rather in love with this salad. It’s so fresh and it has great texture. Creaminess from the avocado and mozzarella, juiciness from the lime dressing, crunch from the corn and the lettuce. The corn is roasted in smoked paprika for a kick of smokiness against the citrus dressing, but it doesn’t overpower. The overwhelming result is still so refreshing.
This satisfied as a main meal, but it also worked perfectly as an accompaniment to some smoky, saucy enchiladas.
If you’re vegan, you must not be deterred. Instead of mozzarella, you could just add extra avocado and/or some creamy cashew cheese.
Oh, hey! I did a stereotypical dressing pour shot! And a stereotypical “each element arranged seperately on top of lettuce” shot! Yeah. Styling salads is hard so sometimes I have to resort to the cliches – but I’m also weirdly proud of being able to capture that dressing pour just so. You’ll forgive me, won’t you?
If you play your cards right, this can be ready in about half an hour excluding pre-heating time, because you do all your chopping and mix your dressing while the corn is in the oven.
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsps of smoked paprika
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 125g / 4.4oz ball of fresh buffalo mozzarella, roughly chopped
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped and rinsed
- 1 tsp of honey
- 2 tsps of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsps of lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- First, heat the oven to 200C / 390F.
- Brush a baking pan with olive oil.
- Drain your can of corn and pat the kernels dry with a paper towel. Scatter onto the baking pan. Top with smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and mix around with a spatula to ensure each kernel is coated.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, until the corn is darkened and a little crispy.
- While the corn is in the oven, prepare the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together in a small jug.
- When the corn is ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes while you start to prepare the salad.
- Add the lettuce, mozzarella, and chopped avocado to a large bowl.
- Finally, once it has cooled down just a little, add the corn and then the dressing, and toss to distribute.
Source: Dressing adapted from this one on Self.com