Yes, you’re in the right place!
I moved Ciao Veggie to a new WordPress theme, which means that the style and navigation have changed completely. I hope it will be intuitive! The new header will take you anywhere you need to go. The menu has links to all the main parts of the blog, including a drop-down list for all the different types of recipes. You can search or follow my social media accounts from the header too!
This theme is simpler, and I have scaled back on the whizzy features that the old version had, which was sad but I think it was necessary (more on that below). This one it’s more consistently styled and easy to navigate. And I like it this way- I hope you do too!
About 90%. There’s still some tidying up to do
– You’ll notice in posts where I use side-by-side photos, they are no longer full width. Grrr. I have somebody working on this as we speak.
– A new logo is being worked on. It’s not a far cry from the temporary one I’ve put up, but it will be a little cuter.
– I realized at the 11th hour that I still need to update my Favicon but I totally don’t know how yet. Sigh. It can wait.
– The category pages will be tiled instead of blog-style at some point soon.
I loved my old blog, but I had some issues to address. Far too many people were coming into Ciao Veggie to see a recipe, and leaving right away. Of course, this happens with any website, but mine was worse than average. Not only does that impact my ranking with Google, it also doesn’t feel great. And I think it’s important to keep striving for better, right?
So here’s the theory. My old theme was cool, but it was not a blog / magazine theme per se and so it was not taking people on the right journey. The best features were on the homepage and pages, but most people enter the site on a recipe post. Those posts didn’t have that wow-factor and they weren’t very easy to customize. So not a lot of people were impressed enough to check out the homepage. And when they did, as cute as it was, not a lot of people ever clicked on any recipes. Because there were limitations on how the blog entries could be displayed and it was hard to create the right hierarchy to guide people towards what was new and exciting.
So, I decided to try something new, something more classic. The post pages feel more branded, more tidy, and with more ideas for where to go next. The homepage is a more intuitive magazine style, which shows you a lot more content, in a more inviting way.
Yes! I may have said goodbye to some of the whizzy cool features on the old theme, but there are awesome new features and lovely little touches on this version which I hope you will enjoy!
- How cute is my Archive?. You can see my posts organized chronologically. Useful if you want to look at some of the funny old posts from 2012 with adorably terrible photos.
- My category pages are waaaay nicer to use now, even before the changes are made!
- Scroll to the bottom of this post and take a moment to appreciate my new social sharing buttons and how awesomely styled they are. Thanks to the Simple Share Buttons team for helping me with this!
- My footer shows you a few of my latest Pins! It’s sooo cute! Props to Alpine Photo Tiles for Pinterest.